We edited the following remarks carefully. Nevertheless, they are not legally binding. The binding regulations may be found in the general examination order for bachelor and master programs. Please note in addition the information and form sheets on the homepage of the examination office.
Requirements for the start
- According to the examination order: None.
- You should be at least in your fifth semester, have obtained 120 credit points and have absolved the (Pro)Seminar in Economics.
Assignment of topics and registration
- You contact one of the lecturers and agree with him upon a topic for your bachelor thesis (please note the information for final papers in Economics, list of topic, fields of interest and special information of the respective lecturer and in addition the specific information of the section Business Administration including the seminar for final thesis which can be found here.)
- After the assignment of topics, you have to register for your bachelor thesis (formsheet “Anmeldung BA-Arbeit”). For doing this, you need to hand in the pre-filled form sheet (both pages, including the “Angaben für die Ausstellung des Zeugnisses”) to your supervisor. You can get the form sheet on the examination office’s homepage and on MeinCampus.
- Change of topic:
- You can change your topic one time during the first two week. By changing your topic, the working period starts again.
- The topic may be modified during the working period if your supervisor agrees (modification means that the topic is altered slightly, for example by choosing another case study by an unchanged overall context). A modification does not affect your working period.
- 3 month, starting with the registration.
- The working period might be extend for two week for well-founded exceptions. Your request must be submitted to the examination office.
- If you are taken ill during your working period, the working period is suspended. Please hand in a medical certificate to the examination office. The working period will be extended for the time you have been certified ill.
40 pages of text as maximum.
- Marks with steps in thirds based on one expertise (if you do not pass, a second expertise will be conducted)
- Weighted with 10 credit points.
- Your thesis should be marked latest six weeks after you submitted it.
- You must submit your thesis to the examination office (consider the opening hours).
- You must submit to hardcopies and a digital version.
- If you do not submit your work at all or not in time, your thesis will be considered “not-passed”.
- Your thesis must contain a statement that you wrote it on your own and did not use any other than the listed sources and resources.
- Language: In general, the thesis must be in German. If your supervisor agrees, you might write it in English.
- Formatting: 1.5-spacing, font size: Arial 11pt or Times New Roman 12pt, margin: 2cm on each side
- You can get further information about formalities (references, citations etc.) from the Guidance for Economics (in German) or from the Guidance for Business Administration (in German).
- You are expected to use the databases available at the library. By doing so, you should be able to find scientific articles, book or reports about your topic.
Acceptance of Bachelor theses and theses for state examination
Your bachelor thesis might be accepted as thesis for your state examination, as well as a thesis for state examination as bachelor thesis. You may gather information about this from the homepage of the Center for Formation of Teachers. For an acceptance, your thesis must be marked for a second time, your mark will not be transferred automatically.
If you do not pass your bachelor thesis, you can retry it once. For doing so, you need a new topic.
- Your bachelor thesis must be submitted latest at the end of your eight semester, except your study time has been prolonged on approval or due to maternity protection/parental time. The end of a summer term is September 30, for a winter term March 31. Be careful: The deadline is not prolonged to the next working day, but end on the last working day before the respective date.
- You have to control on your own for potential dates within your application for a master program, at which you have to submit a mark of your bachelor thesis. If such a date exists, mind the time for marking of up to six week!